Trustees consider a diverse range of proposals, with a focus on projects which address the areas listed below. These reflect Dr Sowerby’s personal interests and priorities, which guide the trustees in their grant making.
- Primary care & ‘out of hospital’ provision
- End of life care, terminal illness & hospices
- Patient-Professional trust and interaction
- The Arts; supporting young or emerging creative artists and writers, and performance by all ages in local communities
- North Yorkshire and its communities
- Natural environment; support for the enhancement of horticulture, trees & forests
- Conservation; support for the protection and management of ecosystems and biodiversity; and practices that protect, manage, and restore natural habitats.
- Teaching of philosophy in schools and the encouragement of creative and critical thinking amongst children.
- Support for the study of philosophy within medical education
- Providing artistic and creative activities to improve the health and wellbeing of at-risk or disadvantaged groups.
Examples of the grants the trustees have made can be seen on ‘our grants’ page.